Wednesday, April 12, 2006

It's Holy Week...

...and I wanna join those thousands of people flocking to Camiguin Island for it’s yearly Holy Week activity, the “Panaad” (Promise) wherein I could be among those devotees gathering together to walk the 64-kilometer circumferential road of the island, survive and reach the Walk Way for the Station of the Cross, trekking the slopes of Old Vulcan as expression of penitence and spiritual enrichment. This would be my first time observing Lent at the island, and my first time spending Holy Week away from home.

Last Monday, I called up my high school friend Maricel for some urgent summer vacation info. Ooops! Whatta an exciting feedback! She has informed me she’s going to Camiguin this Holy Week with her colleagues and she’s inviting me over to join them. A perfect timing too, ‘coz I had been looking for some buddies to go with me to Camiguin (else, who would dare going to Camiguin and observe “Panaad” alone? Hehehe!). So right there and then, we fixed everything and set for our departure sched – early morning on Maunday Thursday.

I was getting excited and all.. but uh-oh! I got a terrible headache (I was nearly getting a flu) the following day, and my ill condition wasn’t getting any better.. even upto now. Just as I thought, I couldn’t go on a travel, climb uphill those mountains, and trek the entire island for three days with my not-so-good condition. So I had to cancel my Camiguin plans then. Just an hour ago before I started writing this note, I texted my friend and said I can no longer join them for their Camiguin trip tomorrow. Perhaps I can push through with my “Panaad” plan on next year’s Holy Week.

As for now, I’m contemplating of visiting the sacred Mt. Banahaw, and there I'll have my penitence. (Tsk.. tsk.. dli man gani makaadto ug Camiguin, Mt. Banahaw na ba kaha, hehe!).. Bitaw, I’m going to my home sweet home Malaybalay… and there I will spend holy week with my family. My bestfriend Grethel will be coming over too! She’ll be home a week after holy week, and we have arranged a schedule for a retreat at Benedictine Monastery on the 22nd of April. So I’m looking forward for our post-Lenten retreat then.


I have received an email from my fellow amuler Walter containing a very inspiring Holy Week Reflection by By Fr. Jerry Orbos, SVD.. Being struck by the message, I have posted the entire article at my WordPress web page.

Hope you'll also find time reading the reflections. Have a blessed Lenten Season, everyone!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home